Utah StyleListe Magazine, the Fashion and Beauty Magazine for Utah Women,
is having a WRITING CONTEST!
Instead of us writing our blog, and our takes on fashion in Utah, we want you to write about your takes and thoughts on fashion and beauty in Utah. Readers of the blog can comment and leave their vote on who their favorite personality, style, or writer is, and the winner will get the opportunity to write in an issue of the magazine.
We want to know all your ideas, thoughts, and takes on fashion, style, and beauty in Utah. Submissions can be anything i.e. stories, experiences, pictures, blurbs, articles, thoughts, etc. In any form that you wish to convey your message of Utah Fashion i.e. pictures, stories, artcles, poems, etc.

Send your submissions to socialmedia@styleliste.com, and we will publish it to the blog for you. Then have your friends and family go to our blog at http://www.utstyleliste.blogspot.com/ and leave their vote in the comments.

We cant wait to see all of your creativity and personality. Have fun- and we will annonce the winner at the end of January (hint: the more you submit your work, the more chances and opportunity you have to win!)

Thursday, December 24, 2009

My Not So Secret Fashion Emergency by Awbree Summers

When my younger sister asked me to enter this writing competition, being put on by one of her friends, I immediately jumped on the chance to participate. I had never heard of StyleListe Magazine, and I truly had no idea what subject I would have the pleasure of writing on. Perhaps, I could share my thoughts on parenting tactics, floral design techniques, or maybe even a little something on gardening. However after doing a little research, I quickly found that this was not to be the case. I could slowly feel the color draining from my face as I read the subject I was being asked to write on…

FASHION…



Sitting here with my computer in my lap, I carefully lowered my gaze to the white tube socks I am presently wearing with my brown leather shoes, and immediately realized that I am in trouble. I wouldn’t say I am a walking fashion disaster, but I can swallow my pride enough to tell you that I am, one of those people who reach for my legal notepad, and hurriedly take notes when I watch Stacy and Clinton on the TLC show What Not To Wear. Sadly, I truly own three pairs of shoes. Two are exactly the same, but one is black, and the other one pictured here is brown. The other is a cute, but much worn set of black heels that I can magically make go with everything.

Further incriminating evidence can be easily found in my jewelry drawer, where there is an array of colorful accessories that I have purchased over the years that I really don’t understand how to put into proper use, or proper rotation for that matter. Truth be told, if I am being totally honest with you, I would confess my desire to write Lia Sophia a letter of apology for the misrepresentation of their beautiful jewelry.

Now that we have established that I am by no means a walking “fashionista”, let me attempt to do a small amount of damage control concerning the tarnished first impression on my good fashion sense.

I know how to spot a nice pair of jeans.

Furthermore, I would venture out to say that short of a personal trainer ,or plastic surgery, there is nearly nothing better out there for a woman’s self esteem then a great fitting pair of jeans. You know the pair of jeans I am talking about; the mystical dark wash with a slight boot cut that makes your behind bewitch anyone who might be lucky enough to catch a glimpse. When I started writing on this topic, I suddenly became aware of the large number of Utah women who have great fashion sense when it comes to the selection of an essential wardrobe necessity; a pair of nice jeans and slacks.

One of the other things I enjoy and appreciate about Utah fashion is the manufacturing and distribution of the “longer bottom” shirt. This life saving shirt can be purchased from a number of retailers such as Shade Clothing ,Down East Clothing and I believe American Eagle, just to name a few.


For those of you who are unfamiliar with the inner workings of the “long shirt,” please allow me to explain. These mechanical genius shirts are made a few inches longer than the average t-shirt, and usually have a little stretch built into them. They are the key factor for saving the eyes of those of us in the rear when women bend over to pick up their children, or garbage, or the clothes that our boyfriends and husbands should have picked up in the first place. They are also truly delicious for women who are expecting a baby or for that matter those of us who just had a baby. The shirt stretches and shows of the beautiful curves during pregnancy, and then also allows some forgiving fabric for that not so forgiving time after the bundle of joy arrives.

I know it is not a gushing of fashion knowledge, with flowing mentions of designer handbags and $200.00 jeans, but today, for this time in my life, these are my EMT’s to help me avoid too many real, intervention and rehab worthy fashion emergencies.

18 comments:

  1. This is truely a Utah woman's realistic and down to earth view of fashion! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great! It should win for sure! It indeed is a Utah woman's realistic view of fashion. WINNER!

    -Jada-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because I fall into the catagory of not knowing what to wear, I loved Awbree's comments,about shoes, tops, and pants. Very cleaverly written. I think it is a winner!

    cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how true Awbree, I loved your way with words. I am over weight from having kids, and I really need a shirt I can feel good in. And I guess I need more than one pair of shoes, although I am like you and I do not know how to wear them. You should win, I really, really loved your artical.

    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iam a Gay guy and my mother made me read this. She thinks all Gay guys should have true fasion cents, but I don't. But I can tell you that you are right about a great fitting jean. I will spend my paycheck getting a pair of jeans, that fit me like a glove, and make others trun their heads. I love,love,loved your artical, you go girl

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun and engaging blog! Awbree has the gift! I love her ability to see the humor in the mundane and make us all lighten up a bit.
    Who knows she may single handedly end the dependence of Utah women to Prozac!
    WINNER! WINNER!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we all feel like Awbree does sometimes! Winner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true!! I think Awbree nailed it right on the head! Great article....definitely a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great article. I want to read more of your work. I was disappointed when the article was over because I wanted to keep reading! Please keep writing you are simply amazing! How do we get this girl as a regular writer? Definitely a WINNER in my book! I love you point of view!

    Amy Smith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job Awbree. You couldnt have said it better. You always provide me with a smile when I read your atricles. Keep t up girl. Winner winner chicken dinner.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have twenty pairs of shoes but, I only wear the same two pair - over and over. My favorite pair of jeans - I wish I had four more pair. Long shirts - I wear them every day... Thanks Awbree, I feel like I belong! You get my vote! Natalie in Washington (former Utah resident)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this post! It seriously made me laugh so hard, so real, so easy to relate to, yet it made me want to read a lot more of it. I loved how spunky it came across, yet it sounds at the same time like my best friend being straight wiht me. I want to read more, more and more! You totally get my vote!! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awbree writes like a true Utah women! I know I feel the same as she does, and by the looks of it so does everyone else! My vote is with you 100%!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awbree seems to have a down to earth and realistic approach to Utah womens sense of fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoy Awbree's fashion and writing sytle. She has a natural self effacing way of expressing her ideas that appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hahaha I had to look up what self effacing meant....Maybe you should be the writer, I thought it sounded really official.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awbree captured my attention immediately. I enjoyed her take on fashion and was very entertained. Loved the pictures, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great article. My fashion sense is horrible and I only have a few pairs of shoes that I wear. I could really relate and appreciate what Awbree was saying.

    ReplyDelete